Ensures Proper Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
Composed of a chair, a veterinarian, research scientists, non-scientists, and community representatives, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) meets monthly and makes semiannual inspections of all facilities and laboratories where animals are housed or utilized:
- Reviews all animal use protocols.
- Ensures compliance with federal regulations.
- Inspects animal facilities and laboratories.
- Oversees training and educational programs.
- Serves as a resource to faculty, investigators, technicians, students, staff, and administrators.
- Provides guidance for conducting all animal use procedures with the highest scientific, humane, and ethical principles.
- Responsible for oversight and evaluation of BIDMC's animal care and use program.
- Conducts semi-annual program review and inspections of animal facilities.
- Procedures for review, approval, and suspension of animal activities.