Research at the Celiac Center
Our Research and Clinical Trials
BIDMC clinicians are dedicated to advancing the scientific knowledge of celiac disease by conducting leading-edge research. The Celiac Center at BIDMC is a world-renowned research site, investigating all aspects of the disease, including:
- Difficult-to-treat cases such as refractory celiac disease
- Metabolic issues
- Diagnostic testing
- Biomarkers, or signs of the disease
- New and non-dietary treatments
As a founding member of the HMS Celiac Research Program at Harvard Medical School, BIDMC staff share their expertise to advance research initiatives and education for people with celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders.
BIDMC is one of the leading enrollment sites for celiac disease-related clinical trials available across the country. This means our researchers and trial participants play a central role in designing and completing national and international studies.
Some of the most exciting clinical trials currently underway include:
- Tolerogenic therapies that stop the immune response to gluten
- Agents that prevent gluten from reaching the digestive tract
- Enzyme cocktails that break down gluten before it reaches the small intestine
Your physician can help you determine whether participating in a clinical trial is appropriate for you. If you are interested in our research and/or participating in studies, please email us.