Do you have non-celiac gluten sensitivity?
You may be one of the millions of people who don't have celiac disease, but know that gluten bothers your system.
- Do not diagnose yourself with NCGS or celiac disease. A gastroenterologist will help you make a correct diagnosis.
- Do not start a gluten-free diet if you suspect NCGS. You must be tested while still eating gluten to determine the correct diagnosis.
- It is highly recommended to schedule a visit with a registered dietitian to gain knowledge about the gluten-free diet.
- McAllister BP, Williams E, Clarke K. A comprehensive review of celiac disease/gluten-sensitive enteropathies. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol [Internet]. 2018 Jun 2
- Igbinedion SO, Ansari J, Vasikaran A, Gavins FN, Jordan P, Boktor M, et al. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity: All wheat attack is not celiac. World J Gastroenterol. 2017 Oct 28;23(40):7201–10.
- Casella G, Villanacci V, Di Bella C, Bassotti G, Bold J, Rostami K. Non celiac gluten sensitivity and diagnostic challenges. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2018;11(3):197–202.
- Bardella MT, Elli L, Ferretti F. Non celiac gluten sensitivity. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2016 Dec 1;18(12):63.
- Leonard MM, Sapone A, Catassi C, Fasano A. Celiac disease and nonceliac gluten sensitivity: a review. JAMA. 2017 Aug 15;318(7):647–56.
Revision Date: September 11, 2018
Author: Rafael Mendo-Lopez MD
Editors: Melinda Dennis, MS, RDN, LD and Katherine Germansky MD
Prior Revision Date: 11-13-13