BIDMC has a leadership role in local, national, and international research trials investigating new endoscopic technologies.
Current areas of active investigation of advanced endoscopy include:
- Video laser endomicroscopy for evaluation of Barrett’s esophagus
- Cryoablation techniques for eradication of Barrett’s esophagus
- Use of lumen-apposing metal stents for pancreatic drainage and necrosectomy
- Artificial intelligence/deep learning approaches for detection of pre-cancerous colon polyps
- Novel treatments for GERD
- Fine needle biopsy techniques for pancreatic cancer and cysts to grow 'organoids' for discovery and validation of new chemotherapetic approaches