Office for Academic Careers
Career Support for Our Faculty
The office of Academic Careers and Faculty Development was established to support the faculty at BIDMC in the Harvard Medical School promotion process, provide academic career counseling and advice.
The Academic Careers and Faculty Development Office (ACFD) has been reconfigured and renamed the Office for Academic Careers (OAC) in order to highlight and emphasize the BIDMC resources currently available and being developed in support of the career advancement of our faculty members.
The Office for Academic Careers is here exclusively for your needs! We aim to maximize the academic career potential of all clinicians, educators, and researchers (including post-doctoral fellows) affiliated with BIDMC. The OAC also serves as a liaison to the HMS Office for Faculty Affairs, Harvard Catalyst, and Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians (HMFP).
We are excited to offer the following several services:
- Programs addressing the advancement of academic careers — seminars covering topics such as understanding the Harvard Medical School faculty promotion guidelines and process, conducting effective negotiations, writing an NIH biosketch, and obtaining K series awards.
- One-on-one informal mentorship for career guidance, project advice, or negotiation strategies.
- Small group sessions — facilitated peer support, works-in-progress sessions, writing groups.
- Web-based resources necessary to develop and enhance one's career (still in development) — tips on identifying funding sources, writing and submitting grants, preparing budgets, drafting manuscripts, and writing letters of recommendation.
- Data tracking of trends such as academic rank by department based on the annual HMS faculty roster.
We also welcome the opportunity to work with individuals, with departments, and the BIDMC Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (CDEI) to support the recruitment and academic promotion of underrepresented minority faculty at the medical center.