Academic Careers and Faculty Development
The office of Academic Careers and Faculty Development was established to support the faculty at BIDMC in the Harvard Medical School promotion process, provide academic career counseling and advice.
The Office for Academic Careers and Faculty Development (ACFD) is here exclusively for your needs! We aim to maximize the academic career potential of all clinicians, educators, and researchers (including post-doctoral fellows) affiliated with BIDMC. The ACFD also serves as a liaison to the HMS Office for Faculty Affairs, Harvard Catalyst, and Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians (HMFP).
We are excited to offer the following several services:
- Programs addressing the advancement of academic careers - seminars covering topics such as understanding the Harvard Medical School faculty promotion guidelines and process, conducting effective negotiations, writing an NIH biosketch, and obtaining K series awards.
- One-on-one informal mentorship for career guidance, project advice, or negotiation strategies.
- Small group sessions - facilitated peer support, works-in-progress sessions, writing groups.
- Web-based resources necessary to develop and enhance one's career (still in development) - tips on identifying funding sources, writing and submitting grants, preparing budgets, drafting manuscripts, and writing letters of recommendation.
- Data tracking of trends such as academic rank by department based on the annual HMS faculty roster.
We also welcome the opportunity to work with individuals, with departments, and the BIDMC Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (CDEI) to support the recruitment and academic promotion of underrepresented minority faculty at the medical center.
Please note: As of academic year 2018-2019, the BIDMC Academy is subsumed under the ACFD to ensure that the career needs of all faculty, regardless of academic track, are supported. Please see the BIDMC Academy website for details of its programming.