Spiritual Care and Education
Boston, MA 02215
Spiritual Care at BIDMC
Chaplains in the Department of Spiritual Care and Education attend to the spiritual and ritual needs of patients, families, and staff. We value the uniqueness of each person’s spiritual path and provide compassionate support to those of all religious traditions and those who are unaffiliated but seeking support.
Rev. Kathleen (Katie) Pakos Rimer, Director
Jaime Riggs, Program Manager
Interfaith Places of Worship (Open 24 Hours a Day)
- Dooley Chapel, located on the West Campus in the Deaconess Building
- Catholic Mass on Sundays at 11:00 am
- Meditation on Wednesdays from 1:00 pm – 1:30 pm
- Wolfson Chapel, located on the East Campus in the Feldberg Building
- Meditation on Wednesdays from 11:30 am – 12:00 pm
The official worship spaces at the medical center – the Wolfson Chapel on the East Campus and the Dooley Chapel on the West Campus – strive to be spiritually and religiously welcoming. In each chapel, there are tradition-specific items that can facilitate observance (prayer rugs, rosaries, Jewish prayer books). During important religious holidays, religion-specific symbols can be displayed in the chapels for a limited period of time.
Chaplains in department of Spiritual Care and Education believe a strong partnership with community clergy is crucial for the spiritual care of BID patients. If you have congregants who are hospitalized, please let us know how we might support them while they are here. We also warmly welcome you to visit your congregants, and are happy to subsidize your parking expenses when you visit.
Proper attire, clergy identification, and parking ticket must be presented at the parking cashier stations when signing out. Please note that subsidized parking will not be issued for the following:
- For personal medical appointments of clergy or for visiting family
- To people without proper identification or professional dress
Parking is a significant expense for the department and we ask for your cooperation. Any questions regarding this policy can be referred to Rev. Katie Rimer, Director of Spiritual Care and Education, at 617-667-3043.
Resources After the Death of a Loved One
- About Grieving: resources on how to cope with the loss of a loved one
- What to Do Following the Death of a Loved One: a practical guide regarding the tasks at hand when someone dies
Request an Appointment
Ready to get started? Call or go online today.