Dr. Thomas T. Simopoulos, MD, MA, is Director of the Arnold Warfield Pain Management Center, Co-director of the Spine Center and an anesthesiologist in the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine at BIDMC. He is also an Assistant Professor of Anaesthesia at Harvard Medical School. After completing his pain fellowship at BIDMC, he joined the department in 2000.
During his career at BIDMC, Dr. Simopoulos has pursed research in the areas of interventional pain management. In specific, his focus has been on the outcomes of patients receiving percutaneous disc decompression and radiofrequency lesioning. In addition, most of his current work is on improving the outcomes of patients undergoing spinal cord stimulation for pain by studying complications and developing strategies for potential mitigation.
As division director, he is specifically focused on building a research infrastructure to encourage junior attendings, residents and fellows to pursue research. This effort includes the establishment of a specific research office space, recruitment of a research coordinator and a clinical director.
- Simopoulos TT. Sharma S, Aner M. Gill JS. The incidence and management of post-dural puncture headache in patients undergoing percutaneous lead placement for spinal cord stimulation. 2016;19:738-743.
- Simopoulos TT, Sharma S, Aner M, Gill JS. A temporary versus permanent anchored percutaneous lead trial of spinal cord stimulation: a comparison of patient outcomes and adverse events. 2018;21: 508-512.
- Simopoulos TT, Sharma S, Aner M, Gill JS. The Long –term Durability of Multi-Lumen Concentric Percutaneous Spinal Cord Stimulator Leads. Pain Practice 2018 18(7):845-49.
- Bryan Hoelzer, Mark A. Bendel, Timothy R. Deer, Jason Eldrige, David Walega, Zhen Wang, Shrif Costandi, MD; Gerges Azer, Wenchun Qu, Steven Falowski, MD; Stephanie A. Neuman, Susan Moeschler, Catherine Wassef, Christopher Kim, Tariq Niazi, Taher Saifullah, Brian Yee, Chong Kim Christine L. Oryhan, Joshua Rosenow, Daniel T. Warren, Imanuel Lerman, Ruben Mora, Salim M. Hayek, Michael Hanes, TT Simopoulos, Sanjiv Sharma, Chris Gilligan, Warren Grace, Timothy Ade, John P. Hunter, Daniel Choi, Deborah Y. Choi. Spinal cord stimulator implant infection rates and risk factors: A multi-center retrospective study. Neuromodulation 2017;20(6):558-562.
- Markus A Bendel, Travis O’Brien, Bryan C. Hoelzer, Timothy R Deer, Thomas P. Pittelkow, Shif Costandi, David R Walega, Gerges Azer, Salim M Hayek, Zhen Wang, Jason S Eldrige, Wenchun Qu, Joshua M Rosenow, Steven M Falowski, Stephanie A Neuman, Susan M Moeescheler, Catherine Wassef, Christopher Kim, Tariqu Nazi, Taher Saifulah, Brian Yee, Chong Kim, Christine L Oryhan, Daniel T. Warren, Imanuel Lerman, Ruben Mora, Michael Hanes, TT Simopoulos, Sanjv Sharma, Chris Gilligan, Warren Grace, Timothy Ade, Nagy Mekhail, John P Hunter, Daniel Choi, Deborah Y Choi. Spinal cord stimulator related infections: Findings from a multicenter retrospective analysis of 2737 implants. Neuromodulation 2017;20(6):553-557.