Statement of Commitment
The Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) recognizes that medical education is a continuum marked at various stages by the degree of Doctor of Medicine, completion of an accredited graduate medical education (GME) program, and subsequently a continuing life-long interest in professional self-improvement and education.
With respect to GME specifically, the BIDMC is committed to providing the appropriate resources to assure the highest quality of training.
The institution is committed to providing a scholarly milieu in which the resident physician interacts with a diverse group of other learners and teachers. This group includes medical students, nursing students, graduate students, and faculty.
Resources include, but are not limited to, a patient population that is appropriate in size and diversity of medical problems, technological support including computer management of patient records and care, and research opportunities, in both the clinical and basic sciences.
All residents are compensated and receive fringe benefits including health insurance, disability insurance and professional liability insurance. Additionally they are eligible to enroll, at their discretion, in other group benefits programs offered by the medical center.
Every department receives financial resources from the medical center to support educational endeavors. Additionally, the medical center created and maintains an infrastructure to supervise and coordinate graduate educational activities through the GME office and personnel.
All physicians practicing at the BIDMC hold an academic appointment at Harvard Medical School. Additionally, a portion of the full-time faculty member's salary is predicted on an obligation to teach. The institution also is committed to the support staff within the GME office to implement graduate education policies.
For the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center:
Chairman, Board of Directors
President and CEO
Vikas P. Sukhatme, MD
Chief Academic Officer
Carrie Tibbles, MD
Director, Graduate Medical Education
BIDMC is committed to helping all its employees, staff, physicians and contractors act in a way that fosters and preserves the trust and respect of those whom we serve and with whom we deal. In keeping with this, BIDMC has an obligation to its patients, community, employees and payers to achieve its mission and provide service of the highest quality.
The core values listed below embody our mission and philosophy . These values only have meaning through action and behavior. Listed below are examples of how you can incorporate these values into your daily work life:
- Live the mission and core values
- Keep promises
- Be viewed by self and others as ethical and trustworthy
- Show consistency between your words and actions
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Treat patients and each other with dignity, kindness and significance
- Introduce yourself, be welcoming, call people by name
- Answer questions, respond to requests or find someone who can
- Value people's time
- Honor religious beliefs and cultural practices
- Communicate with sensitivity
- Take the time to listen carefully without rushing
- Keep people informed about plans, progress and delays
- Apologize when necessary
- Take accountability for excellence, both as an individual and as part of a team
- Commit to high standards, do not accept mediocrity
- Strive to exceed your colleagues' and patients' expectations
- Don't wait for others to fix problems
- Provide service of the highest quality to patients, customers and colleagues
- Work as a team, because excellence is usually the result of team effort, not individual heroics
- Take responsibility for the stewardship of resources
- The resources we have are entrusted to us by our community; use them wisely
- Respect the organization's and patient's property
- Look for cost saving opportunities
- Practice culturally sensitive care with patients and their families
- Support community partnerships - they are critical to our success