Graduate Medical Education (GME) Policies
Our GME Trainee Policy Manual
The Graduate Medical Education (GME) committee has developed and approved a series of policies related to the education and wellbeing of all house staff. These policies cover a broad range of issues from the requirements for resident medical licensure to what happens to the BIDMC programs in the event of a national or hospital wide disaster.
Although many policies are required by the ACGME, we believe that these policies do more than just fulfill requirements. Our policies have been carefully written to assist house staff and program leadership tackle complex issues that may come up during training. These policies can provide guidance to our graduate medical education community, allowing programs to provide a superior educational experience that respects the rights of the individual residents or fellows while also supporting their program leadership.
For questions surrounding these policies, please email us.
All Policies listed below can be found in the GME Online Trainee Manual.
GME Trainee Policy Manual
- GME 01: Duty Hours
- GME 02: Duty Hour Exceptions
- GME 03: Policy on Evaluation and Promotion
- GME 04: Extension of Training
- GME 05: Policy and Procedure for Trainee Grievances
- GME 06: Leave of Absence
- GME 07: Medical Licensure
- GME 08: Participation in Institutional Quality Assurance
- GME 10: Remediation and Discipline
- GME 11: Residency Closure/Reduction
- GME 12: Trainee Contracts (Interns, Residents, Fellows)
- GME 13: Restrictive Covenants
- GME 15: Trainee Supervision for Interns, Residents and Fellows
- GME 16: Trainee Moonlighting
- GME 17: Resident Eligibility & Selection
- GME 19: USMLE Completion Requirement
- GME 20: Multidisciplinary Pain Management Policy
- GME 21: Anesthesia and Surgical Critical Care Multidisciplinary Policy
- GME 22: Graduate Medical Education Guidelines for Program Affiliation Agreement Signatures
- GME 23: Disaster-Patient Interruption Policy
- GME 25: National Provider Identifiers (NPIs) for all ACGME and NON-ACGME Trainees (Interns, Residents, Fellows & Rotators)
- GME 26: Accommodations for Trainees with Disabilities
- GME 27: Transitions of Care and Safe Handover of Patients
- MS-13: Principles Guiding Medical Education at BIDMC