About Our Weight Loss Group Program
BIDMC has a strong awareness of the complexities associated with metabolic disorders, including complications stemming from obesity, type 2 diabetes and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. We are prepared to address these complications and improve your health through our innovative and medically supervised weight loss and wellness program, offered by the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism.
This unique and comprehensive program will encourage participants to explore and overcome challenges associated with weight loss, while developing the behavior modification skills to support a sustainable and healthy lifestyle.
What Makes Metabolism Fast?
Dr. Jody Dushay is featured in this video from STAT on the science of metabolism.
Meet Our Team
- Jody Dushay, MD, MEd, MMSc, Program Director
- Katherine Mitchell, RD, LDN
Wellpowered provides weekly group education sessions that emphasize forward-thinking dietary, physical activity and behavior modification techniques to achieve weight loss and improve overall health. Research has shown that routine, active participation in medically supervised group sessions results in significantly better long-term weight management.
Strengthen your skills and motivation to improve your health through our innovative, comprehensive weight loss and wellness program led by an MD and RD who specialize in medical weight management. Up-to-date medical information will be provided to you in an approachable, supportive and structured environment.
Our program will provide you with the tools for executing effective and sustainable strategies to improve your long-term health in the following areas:
- Eating behaviors, including the role of the brain and the gut in regulating what we eat
- Nutrition and Physical Activity Fundamentals
- Mindfulness and Mindful Eating
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Skills for Changing Eating Behaviors
Group Session Highlights
Topics discussed throughout the program include:
- The Wellpowered Mindset and Establishing Your Wellness Intention
- Physiologic Regulation of Hunger, Fullness, and Food Choices
- Planning, Purchasing and Preparing Healthy Food, and Tips for Eating Out
- Exercise Fundamentals
- The Role of the Gut Microbiome in Metabolic Health
- Mindfulness, Mindful Eating, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Skills for Changing Eating Behaviors
- One-on-one nutrition consultations with Katherine Mitchell, RD, LDN
- Frequent customized planning sessions to track and evaluate your progress to achieve and sustain weight loss
- Access to Wellpowered care plan team and Wellpowered group networking support systems
Classes held via Zoom every Wednesday at 5:30 pm. You can enroll anytime.
Contact Katherine Mitchell, RD, LDN, at 617-735-2518 or by email for more information.
There is a one time fee of $100; you may return to the program as many times as you want. May be eligible for insurance reimbursement.*BIDMC employees may qualify for a discounted rate.
To view a class calendar and sign up, please contact Katherine Mitchell, RD, LDN, at 617-735-2518 or by email.