About Our Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas Program
Our multidisciplinary team of compassionate caregivers includes highly experienced and skilled physicians and surgeons who are world renowned clinicians, researchers and clinical innovators in their respective fields. They are recognized for advancing sarcoma treatment both nationally and internationally through their research, clinical trials, publications and society leadership positions, as well as training Harvard Medical School students and providing graduate medical education.
Our multi-specialty approach to treat sarcoma is a unique collaboration among:
- Orthopedic oncologists (surgeons who have special training and expertise in operating on and managing overall care for bone and soft tissue sarcoma)
- Medical oncologists (physicians who treat cancer with chemotherapy and other drugs)
- Radiation oncologists (physicians who treat cancer with radiation)
- Musculoskeletal diagnostic and interventional radiologists (physicians who perform musculoskeletal imaging and biopsies)
- Pathologists (physicians who read biopsies and surgical specimens to determine a diagnosis and response to therapy)
- Surgical oncologists (general surgeons who have special training and expertise in operating on soft tissue sarcomas and in combined surgical approaches with orthopedic oncologists for areas such as the pelvis)
- Certified oncology nurses
- Many other experienced and accomplished healthcare specialists
A Leader in the Field
BIDMC participates in the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, and the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group, and is a founding member of the Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC) — Harvard's National Cancer Institute — designated comprehensive cancer center. We collaborate extensively on clinical trials with the NCI and DF/HCC.