About Our Lab Services
Our laboratory is staffed by skilled and compassionate phlebotomists who are trained in phlebotomy techniques.
- Please Note: With respect to social distancing, we are requiring patients to call 781-528-2480 to make an appointment.*
- Our Lab hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. If you have any questions, please call 781-528-2480.
- Orders can be faxed to 781-528-2490.
*Scheduled patients will be taken before walk-ins.
Our Phlebotomy Lab
The Lexington Phlebotomy Lab is a collection site for blood draws as well as other specimen for the clinical diagnosis and management of patients. Specimen for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center patients are then transported to our core Clinical Laboratory which is located on the East Campus in Boston. Most tests ordered are performed at our Boston laboratory. In some cases, specimen are sent to reference labs to be performed which can increase the time it takes to get results.
Fasting requires that you do not eat or drink anything 8 to 10 hours prior to having your labs drawn. Drinking water is allowed and encouraged. Normally, medication should be taken as usual; however, please consult with your physician prior to your visit if you have any questions about fasting or medications.
Ordering Lab Tests
Physicians ordering tests must be in our medical registry. If you are not certain whether your doctor is in our registry, please call us at 781-528-2481 prior to your visit.
Laboratory tests can be ordered on our web based order entry system or on a paper requisition. Physicians using paper orders can use a Beth Israel Deaconess Laboratory Requisition or a physician's prescription.
Paper requisitions must:
- Be legible
- Include the patient's name and date of birth
- Include the ordering provider's name and phone number
- Include an ICD-10 code (diagnosis code)
- List all tests individually
Once testing is complete, BIDMC and affiliated physicians have access to results via our online medical record system. Physicians that do not have access to our system will receive reports by mail.
Lab Services at Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare-Lexington
482 Bedford Street, 1st Floor, Lexington, MA 02420