Medical Surgical Units
Social Work in Medical Surgical Units
Every patient care unit has a social worker assigned who meets daily with the care team. Any patient or family member can request the assistance of a social worker through their health care team.
Medical/Surgical social workers are part of the interdisciplinary team and are assigned to each clinical unit.
We are available to patients and families for a variety of issues including:
- Assisting in the adjustment to new diagnosis, life altering illness or treatment.
- Helping to facilitate communication with the health care team.
- Assisting patients and families in accessing resources including referrals to community agencies and treatment providers.
- Providing support and counseling around end of life care.
- Providing clinical intervention for issues of addiction, homelessness, and safety assessment and planning.