How To Prepare for Your First Appointment
Here is some information to keep in mind when you make an appointment:
- When you schedule an office visit, you may need to answer a few questions over the telephone about your health and personal history, such as your age and any medications you may be taking.
- Before your first appointment, please forward your medical records and the medical tests you have had and their results. Bring a list of your current medications and your insurance card with you.
- Check with your insurance company to see if your policy includes care and treatment at BIDMC. We can help if you have questions about the coverage information you receive. We can also work with your insurance company if the company has questions or requires additional information to determine your benefits.
- At your first appointment you can expect a rectal exam. You may need to complete some additional diagnostic studies, including an endoscopic exam, at a follow-up appointment.
- Remember to bring a list of any questions you have for your caregivers, and a notebook so you can jot down information.
- If you are having a medical procedure, you must have someone accompany you home after your treatment.
We always encourage you to invite a family member or trusted friend to your appointment to help you as you gather information about your health and treatment.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 617-667-4159.