Scharukh Jalisi, MD, MA, FACS
Chief, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
David Caradonna, MD
Pavan Mallur, MD
I joined BIDMC in 2017 with my main focus of research being outcomes in head and neck cancer, economic impact of head and neck surgical oncology, and clinical trials pertaining to head and neck cancer. At present the group is working on establishing a core clinical research program. With increasing patient volume we are also working on offering clinical trials through the division.
- Appointed Chief of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at BIDMC in 2017 (Dr. Jalisi)
- Appointed to the Scientific Review Committee of the 2020 International Head and Neck Conference scheduled in Chicago (Dr. Jalisi)
- Invited to speak about outcomes in head and neck surgical oncology at the University of Arizona, and the University of California at Irvine (Dr. Jalisi)
- Lectured on microvascular reconstruction and cranial base surgery at Louisiana State University, New Orleans (Dr. Jalisi)
- Invited to speak about cranial base surgery at Tulane University (Dr. Jalisi)
- Invited to speak about outcomes in head and neck surgical oncology and disparities in head and neck oncologic management at the ENT Society meeting in London, England (Dr. Jalisi)
- Presented Core Curriculum in Primary Care: Layrngologic Emergencies at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham (Dr. Mallur)
- Presented Harvard Otolaryngology Update: Management of Benign Laryngeal Lesions (Dr. Mallur)
- Participated in invitation-only round table group, Advances and Controversies in Laryngology (Dr. Mallur)
Teaching, Training, and Education
- I was director of the head and neck surgical oncology and microvascular fellowship at Boston Medical Center, and intend to start a fellowship program at BIDMC
- I am providing head and neck surgical oncology training to the Combined Harvard Otolaryngology residents
- I taught second-year Harvard Medical School students during their Otolaryngology Elective
- I provide Head and Neck Surgery training for PGY 3 General Surgery residents at BIDMC
- I established the Head and Neck Nursing Education Program at BIDMC
Jalisi S, Rubin SJ, Wu KY, Kirke DN. Outcomes of head and neck cancer surgery in the geriatric population based on case volume at academic centers. Laryngoscope 2017;127(11):2539-2544.
Rubin SJ, Cohen MB, Kirke DN, Qureshi MM, Truong MT, Jalisi S. Comparison of facility type outcomes for oral cavity cancer: Analysis of the national cancer database. Laryngoscope 2017;127(11):2551-2557.
Jamal BT, Grillone GA, Jalisi S. Chemoresponse Assay in Head and Neck Cancer Patients: A Three-Year Follow Up. J Clin Diagn Res 2017;11(5):XC01-XC03.
McDonough K, Crimlisk J, Nicholas P, Cabral H, Quinn EK, Jalisi S. Standardizing nurse training strategies to improve knowledge and self-efficacy with tracheostomy and laryngectomy care. Appl Nurs Res 2016;32:212-216.
Kirke DN, Chitguppi C, Rubin SJ, Truong MT, Jalisi S. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the base of tongue: A population-based study. Am J Otolaryngol 2017;38(3):279-284.
Rubin SJ, Kirke DN, Ezzat WH, Truong MT, Salama AR, Jalisi S. Marital status as a predictor of survival in patients with human papilloma virus-positive oropharyngeal cancer. Am J Otolaryngol 2017;38(6):654-659.