Both the Human Nutrition Unit, led by Dr. Christos Mantzoros, and the Mantzoros Laboratory operate within the Endocrine Division of the Department of Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, a major teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Mantzoros also directs the Endocrinology Section of the VA Boston Healthcare System (including the West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain/Boston, Bedford and Brockton campuses), affiliated with both Harvard and Boston University School of Medicine.
Our academic team consists of practicing physicians who are active in performing basic and clinical research, providing clinical care, teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and providing hands-on training to medical students, residents, and fellows in Internal Medicine, with a focus on Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism.
Our clinical group specializes in Internal Medicine and in general Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, providing comprehensive care in our state-of-the-art facilities.
Dr. Christos Mantzoros
The Director of the Unit, Dr. Christos Mantzoros, has been Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism as well as Clinical Nutrition. He serves as the Chief of the Endocrinology Section at the VA Boston Healthcare System and as the Director of the Human Nutrition Unit in the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the Joslin Diabetes Center.
Dr. Mantzoros is a Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and an adjunct Professor of Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine. He is also active with the Scholars in Clinical Science Program at Harvard Medical School, a postgraduate Master's level two-year-long program that provides formal training in Clinical and Translational Research for medical doctors at Harvard Medical School-affiliated institutions.
Dr. Mantzoros has served on the advisory boards of foundations and academic institutions as well as several pharmaceutical and diagnostic companies. He is the scientific co-founder of Intekrin Metabolic Therapeutics. Dr. Mantzoros also serves as the Editor in Chief of the journal Metabolism, Clinical and Experimental.
The Mantzoros research team consists of fellows, research assistants, and students from all over the country and the world. Colleagues and collaborators at Harvard and other institutions around the world include many leaders in the fields of molecular medicine, metabolism and clinical epidemiology, creating a rich environment for research and education.
Dr. Mantzoros been given several awards including the prestigious American Association of Clinical Endocrinology Frontiers in Science Award, the Novartis Award in Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, the Lilly Award by the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, the American Society for Nutrition Mead Johnson Award, the HypoCCS award in Paris, France, the Wilhelm Friedrich Bessel Award by the Humboldt Foundation of Germany, The Hygeia Award of the New England Hellenic Medical and Dental Society, the Outstanding Investigator Award by the American Federation of Medical Research and the Solomon Berson Award from the American Physiological Society and FASEB.
He is also the recipient of the BIDMC and Harvard Medical School award for Excellence in Mentoring and has been elected a member of ASCI.
He was awarded the 2017 Obesity Society’s TOPS award, the 2018 European Society of Endocrinology’s Geoffrey Harris Award, and the 2018 Endocrine Society’s Outstanding Clinical Investigator Award.
Dr. Mantzoros has been awarded Visiting and Honorary Professorships by several Universities worldwide as well as honorary PhD degrees. The Alexander Technological Institute of Thessaloniki, Greece has named its Clinical Research Laboratories after his name.
- Christos Mantzoros honored by Federation of the American Societies for Experimental Biology
- Mantzoros Promoted at HMS and HSPH
- Outstanding Investigator Award
- 2018 Laureate Award Winner
- Solomon A. Berson Distinguished Lectureship
- 2017 Obesity Society’s 2017 TOPS Research Achievement Award
- 2018 Endocrine Society’s Outstanding Clinical Investigator Award
- 2018 ESE Geoffrey Harris Award
- 2018 Robert Herman Memorial Award, American Society Nutrition
- 2019 Highly Cited Researcher, Web of Science
- 2020 E.V. McCollum Award, American Society of Nutrition
- 2020 Ikkos Lecture Award, Greek Endocrine Society
- 2020 Honorary Lifetime Membership, Greek Endocrine Society
- 2021 Korean Society of Nutrition Award, Korean and American Society of Nutrition
- 2021 Hippokrates Lecture Award, Greek Society of Internal Medicine
- 2022 Honorary Guest and Speaker, DM & CVD Study Group Annual Meeting EASD
- 2020/2022 Gerald Reaven, Distinguished Leader in Insulin Resistance Award, 19th World Congress on Insulin Resistance, Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease