Urinary Tract Infections
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that may occur anywhere in the urinary tract, though it typically involves only the urethra and bladder.
Overview and Symptoms
Symptoms of a UTI include:
- pain or burning during urination
- more frequent urination, often with only a small amount of urine
- urinary urgency
- cloudy, bad-smelling or bloody urine
- pain in the lower abdomen
- mild fever (less than 101˚F), chills and malaise
To diagnose a UTI, the patient typically provides a urine sample for a simple dipstick test that can be performed in a doctor’s office within minutes.
UTIs are one of the most common infections in humans. In an otherwise healthy person, a UTI normally requires no more than a three- or seven-day course of antibiotics.
Obstetrics and GynecologyThe Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at BIDMC provides outstanding care for all women throughout their lives, in a friendly, comfortable and safe environment.