Menopause is the time in women’s lives when menstrual periods stop permanently and they’re no longer able to have children. It’s a normal condition all women experience as they age.
Overview and SymptomsSymptoms of menopause include night sweats, hot flashes, mood fluctuations and cognitive changes.
Many women require no treatment for menopause; however, if symptoms significantly affect your life, you should see a doctor.
Treatments depend on the symptoms and include:
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to increase a woman’s estrogen levels and relieve many menopausal symptoms.
- Low-dose antidepressants to help decrease menopausal hot flashes.
- Gabapentin and Clonidine, medications used to treat hot flashes.
- Osteoporosis medications used to reduce bone loss and risk of fractures.
- Vaginal estrogen, a medication used to treat vaginal dryness.
Learn MoreThe Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at BIDMC provides outstanding care for all women throughout their lives, in a friendly, comfortable and safe environment.