Sinusitis is a condition caused by a virus that makes the cavities around the nasal passages swollen and agitated.
Overview and SymptomsThis may lead to mucus build-up, make it hard to breathe through your nose, and cause swelling or pain. You may develop sinusitis when you have a cold and be able to relieve your symptoms with home remedies; most cases do get better on their own.
Sinusitis that lasts more than 12 weeks is considered chronic and can lead to infections and other complications. Possible causes include infection, a deviated septum, and polyps in the nasal cavity.
Treatments to reduce chronic sinusitis symptoms and address the underlying cause include:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers and decongestants
- Irrigating the nasal passages
- Corticosteroid sprays, tablets, or injections to relieve inflammation
- Antibiotics if a bacterial infection has developed
- Allergy shots if sinusitis was caused by allergies
- Endoscopic sinus surgery to remove polyps and open blocked passages