About Our Inpatient Psychiatric Services
The Psychiatric Inpatient Unit provides state-of-the-art psychiatric assessment and compassionate, evidence-based treatment. As a service within the Department of Psychiatry of Harvard Medical School at BIDMC, we are committed to the education of professionals-in-training from multiple disciplines and to the advancement of psychiatric research and practice.
Our multidisciplinary clinical teams work closely with all patients to design and implement care plans that meet their unique needs. We are committed to creating a respectful, collaborative treatment relationship to ensure that everyone receives individualized care and treatment guided by established best practices. Through individual and group treatment, close family collaboration and comprehensive discharge planning, we assist in your recovery and the safe return home to your family as quickly as possible.
Our patients may also include:
- Those with a first onset of symptoms.
- Those with a recent exacerbation of symptoms.
- Those with comorbidity who are in need of intensive psychiatric treatment but not in need of medical admission.
- Students from local colleges and universities in acute crisis.
- Patients in need of ECT as part of their inpatient psychiatric treatment.