Primary Care at BIDMC
Healthcare Associates (HCA) is BIDMC's hospital-based primary care practice. In our four suites across the medical center, we provide care
to over 41,500 patients. Our teams include 65 faculty
physicians, 145 rotating medical housestaff, 6 nurse practitioners, 15
clinical triage nurses, 6 licensed practical nurses, 6 clinical social workers, and support staff.
- Jonathan Li, Interim Director for Population Health
- Blair Bisher, MHA, Director of Ambulatory Operations for General Medicine and Primary Care
- Marc Cohen, MD, Medical Director
- James Heckman, MD, and Julia Lindenberg, MD, Assistant Medical Directors
- James Heffernan, MD, MPH, Primary Care Section Chief
- Brendan Murray, Manager of Practice Operations
- Elizabeth Norian, MD, Director of the Resident Practice at Healthcare Associates
- Candace Reynolds, RN, Clinical Nursing Director
- Eileen Reynolds, MD, Chief of General Medicine and Primary Care
- Arthur Price, III, Call Center Manager
Social Work Leadership
- Lynda Seletsky, LICSW, Social Work Team Leader
- Steve O'Neill, LICSW, BCD, JD, Social Work Manager for Psychiatry, Primary Care and Infectious Disease
Mental Health Services
HCA is unique among Boston's academic primary care practices in its
integration of mental health services, MSW counseling and psychiatric care.
To schedule an appointment with one of our social workers, please note that you must be an HCA patient.
Within HCA, we provide care to approximately 500 HIV-infected people. We use a primary care model with social services support to address the special
needs of these individuals. Howard Libman, MD, MPH, leads our primary care
and education efforts.
Innovative Patient Care and Teaching
HCA is a leading site for innovation in patient care and teaching:
We use a modern, responsive Web-based electronic record, called the Online Medical Record (OMR).
Many HCA providers use PatientSite,
a secure Internet resource that allows patients to communicate through
encrypted email with their physicians, request appointments and
prescription renewals online, and review parts of their medical
BIDMC partners with Wellist to offer our patients personalized recommendations for more than 20 categories of helpful services such as grocery shopping, childcare and laundry. You can also set up a private registry to share with loved ones who want to offer support.
Quality and Safety Improvement
HCA focuses on service, safety and quality improvement. Highlights
A pilot program to increase and improve the use of support staff to
enhance the experience for both patients and providers. This pilot led
to improvements in staff morale and productivity, and will be expanded
to the entire practice.
An electronic diabetes registry now allows more focused attention on the care needs of approximately 4,000 patients with diabetes.
We have partnered with the Joslin Clinic to obtain digital retinal
photos onsite at HCA to assess the presence of diabetic retinopathy or
other eye pathology. These photos are evaluated by trained readers
within 24 hours or instantly, if indicated.