About the Digestive Disease Center
BIDMC is at the forefront of digestive disease care in New England with its attention to patient safety and quality, as well as our innovative, multidisciplinary approach.
Our patients benefit from close collaboration among renowned gastroenterologists, surgeons, radiologists, oncologists, pathologists, nurses and other GI specialists.
Our expertise is evident in the high volume care centers across DDC:
- BIDMC gastroenterologists perform more than 25,000 GI procedures annually, placing the DDC program among the top five in the nation.
- Tertiary specialists treat complicated conditions of the gastrointestinal tract with biological therapies and other medical breakthroughs.
- Surgeons offer world-class expertise in rectal-sparing surgery, pouch operations, complex operations for Crohn's fistulas, stricturoplasties, laparoscopic colectomies and bowel resections.
Accessible, Compassionate Care
Prompt access combined with novel, specialized care distinguishes the DDC. Providers see patients with urgent needs on a same-day basis. Our center also has some of the shortest wait times in New England for screening colonoscopies, which are scheduled and completed within two weeks.
Patients are often able to see all necessary specialists in one visit for easy access and coordinated planning. The Digestive Disease Center facilitates:
- Confirmation of diagnosis and/or staging
- Same-day or expedited plan of care and treatment recommendations
- Accelerated patient and physician decision-making
- Quick access to the medical center's tertiary resources
- Comprehensive care and/or second opinions
- Long-term patient management, as appropriate
- Entry into the most current clinical trials for advanced therapies