Surgical Treatments for Heart Conditions at BIDMC
We are passionate about providing our patients with unsurpassed heart care. Our surgeons are experienced in both minimally invasive procedures and in open
surgical techniques. Our surgical outcomes, highlighted by the Society of Thoracic
Surgeons, are among the best in the nation.
We work closely with colleagues from across the
CardioVascular Institute, to provide our patients an unmatched depth of expertise and seamless service.
As members of the Harvard Medical School faculty, our board-certified surgeons take pride in training
the next generation of heart surgeons. Our research programs are among the
top-funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Latest Therapies and Technologies
We offer patients leading edge surgical treatments across the spectrum of cardiac
treatments and services
- Surgical therapy for coronary artery disease with
coronary artery bypass grafting
(CABG), using conventional and off-pump beating heart approaches
- Standard and minimally invasive approaches for heart valve disease, with the goal of preserving native valves through advanced repair techniques
- Aortic surgery, in collaboration with our vascular surgeons to provide the newest techniques, including endografting
- Minimally invasive surgical therapies for atrial
fibrillation and congenital heart conditions in adults
- Advanced imaging techniques, such as cardiac magnetic resonance, which was pioneered at the CVI
- State-of-the-art, hybrid operating rooms permit our multidisciplinary teams to perform complex, collaborative procedures
First and foremost, our surgeons and support staff carefully communicate with patients and their families about specific needs and