About Cardiac Surgery
Surgical Treatments for Heart Conditions
Exceptional Cardiac Care
We are passionate about providing our patients with unsurpassed heart care. Our surgeons are experienced in both minimally invasive procedures and in open surgical techniques. Our surgical outcomes, highlighted by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, are among the best in the nation.
We work closely with colleagues from across the CardioVascular Institute, to provide our patients an unmatched depth of expertise and seamless service. As members of the Harvard Medical School faculty, our board-certified surgeons take pride in training the next generation of heart surgeons. Our research programs are among the top-funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Latest Therapies and Technologies
We offer patients leading edge surgical treatments across the spectrum of cardiac disease. Our treatments and services include:
- Surgical therapy for coronary artery disease with coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), using conventional and off-pump beating heart approaches
- Standard and minimally invasive approaches for heart valve disease, with the goal of preserving native valves through advanced repair techniques
- Aortic surgery, in collaboration with our vascular surgeons, to provide the newest techniques, including endografting
- Minimally invasive surgical therapies for atrial fibrillation and congenital heart conditions in adults
- Advanced imaging techniques, such as cardiac magnetic resonance, which was pioneered at the CVI
- State-of-the-art, hybrid operating rooms permit our multidisciplinary teams to perform complex, collaborative procedures
First and foremost, our surgeons and support staff carefully communicate with patients and their families about specific needs and preferences.
Focus on Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
The division of Cardiac Surgery participates in the STS National Database, which was established in 1989 as an initiative for patient safety among cardiothoracic surgeons.
Our participation in the database helps us identify new areas for quality improvement and provides a public record on the quality of care we deliver. We recently earned top honors in recognition of excellent patient care and outcomes in three categories: isolated coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG), isolated aortic valve replacement surgery (AVR) and combined AVR and CABG surgeries.