Advanced Head and Neck Cancer Treatment for Your Patients
Refer a Patient
Call 617-632-7500 or email us to refer a patient to the BIDMC Head and Neck Cancer program for evaluation or treatment.
We consider you an important member of our health care team. We'll work closely with you and your patients to coordinate individualized treatment plans, and strive to keep you updated on your patient's status. We are committed to making ourselves available to respond to your questions and concerns.
Coordinated head and neck cancer care is managed by a team of clinical experts, including:
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Radiation Oncologists
- Voice, Speech and Swallowing Therapists
- ER, OR and skilled nursing staff
About the Head and Neck Cancer Program
BIDMC’s Head and Neck Cancer team has experience and expertise that spans a broad range of advanced cancers above the collarbone, including tumors of the oral cavity, endocrine glands and skin.
Our internationally recognized team offers breakthrough treatments with the latest technology and innovative surgical techniques. And with our record of excellent outcomes and a compassionate, patient-focused approach, you can rest assured your patients are in good hands.
Our support services, voice, speech and swallowing therapy; a nurse navigator and a head and neck cancer patient support group will ensure that your patients are being supported and guided back to recovery to the fullest extent possible.
Case Study, Ian MacDonald
- 58-year-old male presents with persistent sore throat.
- Community otolaryngologist performs biopsy, diagnoses oropharyngeal cancer. Refers patient to Head and Neck Cancer Program at BIDMC.
- Scharukh Jalisi performs robot-assisted resection, accessing tumor through patient’s mouth, removing it without incision and leaving no visible trace. Removes lymph nodes from the patient’s neck.
- Pathology report confirms early stage oropharyngeal cancer.
- Patient treated with Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy. Due to successful robotic surgery, he receives a lower dose of radiation and avoids chemotherapy altogether.
- PET scan at 3 months shows cancer remission.
A Success Story
One patient's story
Ian MacDonald shares his diagnosis and treatment for throat cancer at BIDMC's Head and Neck Cancer Program
Watch Ian's Story