Our New, State-of-the-Art Building
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is at the forefront of innovation in health care – for our patients, our communities and our region.
As part of our mission to provide extraordinary care supported by world-class research and education, work has begun on a new inpatient building.
BIDMC's first new building in 20 years has been designed to enable BIDMC to meet the needs of our patients and communities in a rapidly changing health care environment.
Take a Virtual Tour
Features of the New Inpatient Building
BIDMC's new inpatient building will provide a modern, state-of-the-art environment where patients will receive a new level of health care.
The new inpatient building will include:
- Single-bedded, family-friendly patient rooms, including:
- Up to 128 medical-surgical patient rooms, many of which will replace double-bedded rooms elsewhere on BIDMC's West Campus
- 30 intensive care unit (ICU) rooms
- Leading-edge surgical suites large enough to accommodate the most advanced surgical procedures and imaging technology
- Versatile diagnostic and procedural suites with state-of-the-art equipment to handle the most acute patient needs
- A medical helicopter landing pad — relocated from its current location on the roof of the adjacent Rosenberg Building — to support BIDMC's important role as a major Level 1 Trauma Center for our region
- An accessible, rooftop green space and healing garden for patients, families and caregivers
- Energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable designs
- Conference space with technology that fosters the sharing of innovative scientific and medical knowledge, modern teaching methods, and multidisciplinary teamwork
Our Commitment to the Community
In accordance with Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MADPH) guidelines and MADPH's identified priorities, BIDMC will be allocating funds to the Community-based Health Initiative (CHI).
Learn More About the CHI
BIDMC is committed to open communication and collaboration with our patients and their families; BIDMC faculty, clinicians and staff; community groups; residents; neighboring institutions; and local, state and federal public officials and agencies throughout the building design, regulatory review and construction process. We welcome your input and encourage you to contact us at email@example.com.
The 10-story, approximately 345,000 square-foot inpatient building will be located on BIDMC's West Campus, surrounded by Brookline Avenue, Francis Street, Pilgrim Road, and the Rosenberg Building.
The building will be conveniently accessible from existing patient care areas on BIDMC's West Campus and will connect to the Rosenberg Building and the Farr Building in multiple locations.
This page will be updated as we move forward in the building design, regulatory review and construction processes.
Take a Tour of the New Inpatient Building
For a preview of BIDMC's New Inpatient Building and some of its state-of-the-art features, please click through the slideshow below.
New Inpatient Building Exterior
In the architect's conceptual rendering shown here, the street view of the building has been modified slightly.
Our single-bedded patient rooms will be family-friendly.
Inpatient Floor Waiting Areas
Inpatient floor waiting areas will be inviting, spacious, and comfortable.
This is an aerial view rendering of our rooftop green space and healing garden.
Rooftop Garden & Lawn
Patients, families and caregivers will be able to enjoy an accessible green space that includes a lawn and garden.