A healthy recipe to help you start your new year off right!
Make a New Year’s resolution to include breakfast in your daily routine. Breakfast fuels your body and mind for the day ahead. Make sure you include lean proteins, whole grains and fresh, frozen or canned fruits and vegetables. The combination means you are getting a little bit of all the things your body needs. This will keep you feeling full longer and help stave off those not-so-healthy-snack cravings.
You can make these protein and veggie packed mini-frittatas ahead of time, keep them in the fridge and warm up for a quick breakfast with a slice of whole wheat toast. If you are watching your cholesterol intake, use 7 eggs whites and 2 whole eggs and look for a low fat cheese.
- Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray Mixing bowl
- 8 large eggs Measuring cups
- ½ cup skim or low fat milk Measuring spoons
- ½ teaspoon black pepper Large sauté pan
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Wooden spoon
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil Cutting board
- 1 bell pepper - chopped Cheese grater
- ½ onion - chopped Muffin Tin (w/ six cups)
- ½ cup zucchini – grated Whisk
- ¾ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Gather all of your ingredients and cooking equipment
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray
- Heat large sauté pan over medium high heat. Once it is warm add the oil to coat the pan
- Add onion and bell pepper to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the zucchini to the other vegetables and allow it to sauté another 3 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
- Crack the eggs into your mixing bowl
- Whisk eggs, milk, pepper, salt and oregano until combined
- Grate cheese and add to egg mixture
- Split the cooked vegetables evenly between each of the muffin cups
- Using a measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into each muffin cup over the vegetables
- Use a spoon to mix up the contents of each muffin cup
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the egg mixture puffs up
- Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes before serving with whole wheat toast
You can try this with any mix of vegetables or different cheeses. Pick what you like!
Jessica Burch, RDN, LDN, CLC