“Neuromuscular disorders” refers to a range of conditions including diseases of the nerves, muscles, motor neurons, and neuromuscular junction.
Overview and Symptoms
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) provides diagnosis and treatment of all neuromuscular disorders.
The term “neuromuscular disorders” is used to refer to a broad range of conditions that include diseases of the nerves, muscles, motor neurons, and neuromuscular junction. Examples of these health conditions include:
- Neuropathies, including Guillain Barre syndrome, CIDP, and Charcot Marie Tooth disease
- Myopathies including myositis
- Muscular Dystrophies
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Lambert Eaton Myasthenic syndrome
- Motor Neuron Disorders, including ALS and Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia
BIDMC offers comprehensive, state-of-the-art diagnostic testing of neuromuscular disorders, including:
- Electrodiagnostic testing
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies
- Single Fiber EMG
- Nerve Ultrasound
- Advanced imaging, including muscle imaging and MR Neurography
- Genetic testing
Treatment at BIDMCEach of our patients receive an individualized plan for treatment created by a team of skilled neurologists, rehabilitation experts, and other specialists as needed. We offer in-depth care and leading-edge therapies, including therapies for rare and complex neuromuscular disorders. Infusion therapies are available at the main campus as well as the Lexington and Needham outpatient centers.