Split Pea Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 package (16 oz) dried split peas (or split pea soup starter package*)
- 1 sweet white onion, diced
- 4 stalks (1 cup) celery, chopped
- 4-5 (1 cup) carrots, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium or regular chicken or vegetable broth *(if using soup starter with seasoning, do not use broth)
- 4 cups water* (if using split pea soup starter with seasoning, use 8 cups water)
- 1 cup diced rotisserie chicken or sliced deli ham (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric (This is optional. You can use another teaspoon of other dried spices if you have at home, such as marjoram or thyme.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a large pot, heat to medium heat with 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Add white onions, celery and carrots – cook for 5 minutes, stir.
- Add split peas with 1 cup of liquid (either broth or water) – cook for another 5 minutes and stir.
- Add all other ingredients except for meat (optional) and salt and pepper. Stir and raise heat to hot. Once it begins to boil, stir and turn to simmer.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, then add the meat (optional).
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
Cooking tip: When soup is done cooking, taste before adding salt. Usually cooking is very flavorful, so add salt when needed and only at the end.
Turkey and Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups
Serving size: 1 lasagna roll-up
- 1 (8-ounce) package of uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1-pound (16-ounce) ground turkey
- 3 teaspoons of garlic powder, divided
- 3 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (24-ounce) jar of pasta sauce, divided
- 2 10-oz packages of frozen spinach or 3 cups of spinach, cooked
- 1 ½ cup of low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese, or 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook lasagna noodles following package directions. In a colander, drain and run under cold water until cool to the touch. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and sauté it until browned.
- Add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt, a ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and ½ jar of pasta sauce to cooked turkey. Bring it to a soft boil, then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl mix spinach, mozzarella cheese, cottage/ricotta/Greek yogurt and an egg. Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Set aside.
- Lay one noodle sheet out flat on a clean, dry work surface. Spread 1/3 cup of cheese-spinach filling the length of each noodle to one inch from one end. Top it with 1/4 cup of turkey filling. Roll the noodle up firmly towards the unfilled end. Repeat with remaining noodles and filling.
- Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and add half of the remaining pasta sauce to baking dish. Place lasagna rolls on the baking dish with seam side down. Top it with remaining pasta sauce.
- Bake until cheese is melted and lightly browned on top and lasagna is bubbly, about 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool 10 minutes before.
Subscribe to Weight Loss & Well-Being