Expert Treatment for Vulvar Conditions
The Vulvar Clinic at BIDMC provides comprehensive evaluation and treatment for conditions related to the vulva or external genitalia, such as chronic yeast infections and pain during intercourse. Some vulvar disorders can be difficult to diagnose—so it’s important to see a gynecologist who has extra training in this specialty.
Our vulvar specialist delivers individualized care for women who have already demonstrated a resistant and/or chronic illness or an unusual vulvar condition. Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Chronic skin conditions
- Lichen sclerosus (thin, white patches)
- Lichen planus (swelling and irritation in purplish, red patches)
- Lichen simplex chronicus (chronic itching)
- Hidradenitis suppurativa (small, painful lumps)
- Vulvar psoriasis (red patches)
- Vulvodynia/vestibulodynia (chronic pain unrelated to an infection)
- Post-menopausal vulvar pain
- Vulvar pain with intercourse
- Vulvar atrophy/post-menopausal atrophy (thinning, dryness)
- Vaginismus (muscle spasm in pelvic floor muscles)
- Genital warts
- Vulvar ulcers
- Recurrent cysts in the Bartholin’s gland
- Recurrent bacterial or yeast infections
- Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis (yellowish discharge, swelling, discomfort)
- Vulvar LSIL/HSIL (precancerous cells of the vulva)
Multidisciplinary Care and Referrals
The Vulvar Clinic is led by BIDMC obstetrician/gynecologist Sara McKinney, MD. Together with a dedicated nursing team, we work closely with pelvic floor therapists and experts from BIDMC’s Center for Intimate Health and Wellness to offer holistic, advanced treatment for vulvar conditions. These treatments include integrative care in addition to non-surgical, non-hormonal vaginal resurfacing treatments. Our team will work with you to put together a treatment plan that’s best suited for you.
Make an Appointment
Appointments for the Vulvar Clinic are offered Monday afternoons, twice a month, from 1:00-4:00 pm. Speak with your gynecologist about being evaluated in our clinic or call 617-667-4600 to schedule an appointment.