About Type 2 Celiac Disease
Take Home Messages:
- The symptoms listed above are not unique to celiac disease and can occur with other disorders and diseases.
- If you or your doctor recognize your symptoms in the list above (or in Type 2), consider getting tested for celiac disease.
- If you suspect celiac disease, do not start a gluten-free diet on your own until you have consulted with a gastroenterologist and have been tested.
- Early diagnosis and effective treatment of celiac disease greatly improves your health outcomes and reduces the risks of complications from untreated disease.
- Green PH, Cellier C. Celiac Disease. N Eng J Med. 2007;357(17):1731-43.
- Aybar A. A Global Disease: The Iceberg Dilemma. In Real Life with Celiac Disease: Troubleshooting and Thriving Gluten-Free. Eds. Dennis M, Leffler D. AGA Press. Bethesda, MD, 2010.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Celiac Center. Accessed August 11, 2011.
- Makharia GK, Verma AK, Armachand R et al. Prevalence of celiac disease in the northern part of India: a community-based study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26(5):894-900.
- Dalgic B, Sari S, Bastruk B et al. Prevalence of celiac disease in healthy Turkish school children. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106(8):1512-7.
- Israeli E, Hershcovic T, Grotto I et al. Prevalence of celiac disease in an adult Jewish population in Israel. Isr Med Assoc J. 2010;12(5):266-9.
- National Institutes of Health Publication No. 08-4269 September 2008. Accessed August 11, 2011.
- Kelly C. Common and Uncommon Presentations of Celiac Disease. In Real Life with Celiac Disease: Troubleshooting and Thriving Gluten-Free. Eds. Dennis M, Leffler D. AGA Press. Bethesda, MD, 2010.
- Cooper Bt, Holmes GK, Ferguson R et al. Gluten-sensitive diarrhea without evidence of celiac disease. Gastroenterology. 1981;81:192-194.
- Newnham ED. Does gluten cause gastrointestinal symptoms in subjects without coeliac disease? J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26:132-34.
- Leffler D. Gluten Intolerance: You Mean I Don't Have Celiac Disease? In Real Life with Celiac Disease: Troubleshooting and Thriving Gluten-Free. Eds. Dennis M, Leffler D. AGA Press. Bethesda, MD, 2010.
- Biesiekierski JR, Newnham ED, Irving PM et al. Gluten causes gastrointestinal symptoms in subjects without celiac disease: a double-blinded randomized placebo-controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010; 106(3):508-14.
- Up to Date.Pathogenesis, epidemiology, and clinical manifestations of celiac disease in adults. Accessed October 9, 2011.
- University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center Impact Newsletters 2008; 8(1). Accessed August 11, 2011.
Revision Date: 10-31-12
Authors: Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN and Annie Peer
Editors: Suzanne Simpson, RD and Rupa Mukherjee, MD