What to expect at BIDMC
Christine Sweeney, LICSW Program Manager, Parent Connection, BIDMC
MAY 17, 2017
At BIDMC we strive to ensure that every patient receives personalized and compassionate care of the highest quality. Knowing that childbirth is not a pain free experience, we’re committed to connecting with you to learn about how to make your healing experience the best it can be.
We are committed to using pain medications safely, so it’s important to communicate with your caregivers about how you are feeling. We’ll also provide you some additional options from our Healing Menu including
- Hot and cold packs that can help with cramping or general muscle aches.
- Binders that provide a gentle feeling of compression and support to the abdomen to give a greater sense of strength and stability.
- Herbal teas including peppermint that helps in aiding digestion. Ginger tea to combat stress and nausea. Green tea provides many benefits for mind and body.
- Pillows to support body alignment and for support and comfort
- Soothing gel pads for sore nipples (ask any breastfeeding mom!)
- Music – bring in your favorite tunes to help you relax
- Reiki which promotes a sense of balance, relaxation and healing
- Spiritual support for all religious traditions or support needs
- Guided Imagery via our C.A.R.E. Channel (Ch. 6) that features ambient nature images and peaceful music. Instruction on Relaxation Exercises
Our postpartum units are stacked with healing cards that can guide you through some very effective methods of helping you to relax including:
- Close your eyes.
- Concentrate on your breathing.
- Slowly breathe in for a count of four, and then breathe out for a count of four.
- Continue slow breathing for a count of 20 breaths.
- Begin focus on relaxing your feet.
- Focus on relaxing your body moving up from your feet to your head.
- Focus on breathing in and out.
- Put worries and thoughts aside if they intrude and bring your attention back to breathing
- Allow yourself to become aware of sounds and sensations in the moment without judgement.
- Inhale expanding your belly.
- Exhale through your nose until your belly is flat.
- Repeat 5 times.
- Inhale, pushing your belly out. Then take in a little more air, filling your chest.
- Exhale the air from your chest first, then your belly.
- Repeat 5 times.
We look forward to your arrival and making your birth and postpartum experience as comfortable as possible, suited to your individual needs and preferences.