Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (Urogynecology)
Hope and Health for Women with Pelvic Floor Disorders
Bladder and pelvic conditions can upend lifestyles, curtail activities, and impose on health and happiness. Sadly, too many women suffer in silence and shame, hiding disorders they believe to be untreatable and a natural part of aging. But nothing could be further from the truth.
The good news is that Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) offers a wide range of innovative and successful treatment options for all manners of female pelvic floor disorders, from urinary incontinence (losing bladder control) to prolapse (when pelvic organs drop or slip out of place).
At BIDMC, our specialists in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (also called Urogynecology) are leaders in providing comprehensive evaluation and treatment services. We offer patient-centered, compassionate care, dedicated to helping you return to your normal lifestyle as quickly as possible.
Full Range of Treatment Options, including Robotic Surgery
Our surgeons were at the forefront of the adoption of robotic surgery in Urogynecologic surgery, and were amongst the first to routinely offer robotic surgery to their patients with prolapse. Our state-of-the-art robotic system, called the Da Vinci® surgical system, allows your surgeon to perform procedures such as a sacrocolpopexy, the 'gold standard' repair for advanced pelvic organ prolapse, using a minimally invasive technique.
The robotic approach uses small incisions in the abdomen and the robot provides more dexterity, precision and control than standard laparoscopic surgery. When compared to an open approach, robotic surgery typically results in:
- less pain after surgery
- less blood loss and need for transfusions
- less risk of infection and scarring
- a shorter hospital stay (typically overnight) and recovery time
- a quicker return to normal activities
Treatments offered also include non-surgical options, including
- Pelvic muscle rehabilitation
- Vaginal pessaries
- Periurethral injections
- Neuromodulation (Interstim)
Our fellowship-trained surgeons and physicians strive to work closely together with a multidisciplinary team of specialists, nurses and other caregivers to make sure you get the best possible care.
Education and Research
Our physicians are committed to education and research. Teaching medical students and residents are a routine part of their day. They collaborate on research on pelvic floor disorders at both a basic science and clinical level. Their goal is to stay at the cutting edge of their specialty so that they can continue to offer the most effective treatment options to their patients.
Our Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (Urogynecology) team at BIDMC offers you a number of significant advantages, including:
- A dedicated team whose goal is to provide compassionate care with a personal touch to meet your individual needs.
- Highly skilled physicians and surgeons who offer the full range of therapeutic options for pelvic floor disorders, from conservative to surgical.
- On-site diagnostic testing including a state-of-the-art multichannel urodynamic laboratory and cystourethroscopy.
- Innovative and effective procedures, featuring robotic surgery and a focus on minimally invasive techniques.
- A commitment to education and research which translates into better care for the patient.