The Rabkin Fellowship in Medical Education was established in 1998 to provide faculty with an opportunity to develop the expertise and skills needed to launch or advance academic careers in medical education and/or academic administration.
The Rabkin Fellowship is open to all faculty with a primary appointment at Harvard Medical School and who currently teach at a Harvard-affiliated institution. Additionally, up to one position is open to a BIDMC-based clinical fellow who is able to dedicate 20 percent of protected time to the program.
Over 100 fellows have graduated from the Rabkin Fellowship Program to date including mid-career and junior faculty, representing many department and divisions from seven Harvard-affiliated hospitals.
Individuals participating in the Rabkin Fellowship will:
- Develop and enhance their skills as medical educators,
- Conduct education research or undertake an educational project in an area of importance of medical education, including UME, GME, and CME/faculty development,
- Learn the principles of effective academic leadership and develop the skills needed to create educational change, and
- Become members of a community of educators dedicated to excellence in teaching environments across the continuum of medical education.
Rabkin Fellows are required to undertake an analytic study, research, or an educational project focusing on an important issue in medical education. The fellows select a mentor to help guide their work in developing their project, and provide each other with support and feedback over the course of the year. The fellows present the results of their projects at a concluding symposium.
A request for applications is typically made in early January and the new class announced in April.
The director of the AY2016-2017 Rabkin Fellowship in Medical Education is Dr. Grace Huang.
The Shapiro Institute for Education and Research at HMS and BIDMC is pleased to announce the Rabkin Fellows in Medical Education for 2016 – 2017:
- Beth Harper, MD, Hospital Medicine, Boston Children's Hospital
- Molly Hayes, MD, Pulmonary/Critical Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Monica Mendiola, MD, OB/GYN, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Mital Patel, MD, Dermatology, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Dan Ricotta, MD, Hospital Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Josh Solano, MD, Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center