At the Hospital
After your recover from surgery, you may need
You will be given a
clear liquid diet
You will be instructed to practice deep breathing and coughing to help your lungs recover.
Any chest tubes will be removed before you go home.
When you are home, be sure to follow your doctor's instructions, including:
- Avoid lifting objects heavier than five pounds.
- Do not to drive for 4-6 weeks.
- Increase your activity as you are able. This will help you recover.
Ask your doctor about when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.Return to work when you doctor says it is alright.
During your stay, the hospital staff will take steps to reduce your chance of infection, such as:
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
There are also steps you can take to reduce your chance of infection, such as:
- Washing your hands often and reminding your healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incision