Headaches: You are not Alone
- Studies show 76 percent of women and 57 percent of men report at least one significant headache per month.
- In the United States, an estimated 60 million to 80 million people experience recurring headaches.
- Migraines afflict almost 30 million people in the United States alone. As many as 6 percent of all men and up to 18 percent of all women (about 12 percent of the population as a whole) experience a migraine headache at some time.
- By age six, 31 percent of children have reported headaches; by age 15, this number soars to 70 percent.
- Only 30 percent of people with recurring headaches seek help, in many cases due to fear of being accused of "faking" the headache or being thought mentally ill.
- More than one million days of school and 160 million days of work are lost per year due to headaches.
- Headaches result in an estimated $30 billion in medical expenses each year.
Above content provided by the National Pain Foundation, the National Headache Foundation and the American Headache Society in partnership with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. For advice about your medical care, consult your doctor.
Posted October 2009