Your First Appointment: Questions to ask Your Doctor
At your first appointment with a headache specialist, you can expect to receive a great deal of information about your particular condition as well as possible treatment options (this may include a preventative plan as well as what to do when a severe headache hits). Feel free to ask any question that's on your mind, no matter how small it might seem.
Here are some questions you might want to ask:
- Can an over-the-counter pain reliever help with my headaches, or do you recommend a prescription drug?
- Please tell me about the drug you are prescribing....why did you choose this drug? What are its side effects?
- Can you recommend any nondrug treatments to help with my headaches?
- Are there any lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.) I can make to help with my headaches?
- Should I keep a headache diary to bring to my next appointment?
- Can I get in to see you immediately if I'm in really bad shape with a headache?
- What should I do if I get a really bad headache--should I call your office or go to the ER?
Above content provided by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. For advice about your medical care, consult your doctor.
Posted October 2009