This is probably the simplest, easiest treatment for hearing loss.
There are many types. Digital technology has created tiny devices that cause little distortion.
One example of a device is the FM trainer. With this device, a person speaks into a microphone. The sound is then transmitted by radio waves directly to the earphone set worn on your ear. This can be particularly helpful if you have trouble hearing speech when there is background noise. FM trainers can also help children with hearing loss to understand their teachers.
is surgically implanted. It directly stimulates part of the brain and uses a tiny computer microprocessor to sort out incoming sound.
Treat Other Medical Illnesses
When hearing loss is caused by other medical conditions, it may be possible to improve hearing by treating those conditions.
Discontinue or Change Medications
If your hearing loss may be caused or worsened by a medication, talk to your doctor about stopping that particular drug or changing to a drug that does not affect hearing.
Address Nutritional Deficiencies
It may be possible to slow age-related hearing loss in elderly persons through dietary modification. For example, if you are deficient in
, this supplement may be helpful for you. Talk to your doctor.
Surgery may be done in some cases of conductive hearing loss to correct the middle ear problem, such as in
, ossicular damage or fixation, and ear infections.
If you have hearing loss, some changes may help you maximize your ability to hear. Follow these guidelines when talking to other people:
- Face the person that you are talking to. This will allow you to see their facial expressions and watch their lips move.
- Ask other people to speak loudly and more clearly.
- Turn off background noise (eg, TV, radio).
- In public places, choose a place to sit that is away from noise.
- Work with a special trainer to learn how to lip read. Lip reading involves paying close attention to how a person’s mouth and body are moving when they talk.