Symptoms of Insomnia
En Español (Spanish Version)
Reducing Your Risk
Talking to Your Doctor
Living With Insomnia
Insomnia symptoms may include:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Early awakening.
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep and/or feeling tired during the day despite having enough hours for sleep
- Difficulty concentrating
- Performance at work or school is suffering
- Lack of energy or motivation
- More errors or accidents at work or while driving
- Tension headaches and/or gastrointestinal problems
- Worries about sleep
Can't Sleep? What to know about insomnia.
National Sleep Foundation
website. Available at:
Accessed May 15, 2013.
Insomnia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:
. Updated April 11, 2013. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Morenthaler T, Kramer M, Alessi C, et al. Practice parameters for the psychological and behavioral treatment of insomnia: an update. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine report.
Parmet S, Burke A, Glass RM. Insomnia.
JAMA Patient Page
. 2006 June 28.295(24).
What are the signs and symptoms of insomnia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at:
. Updated December 13, 2011. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Your guide to healthy sleep. National Center on Sleep Disorders Research. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. November 2005. NIH Publication No. 06-5271. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute website. Available at:
. Accessed February 11, 2009.