The purpose of screening is early diagnosis and treatment. Screening tests are given to people without current symptoms, but who may be at high risk for certain diseases or conditions.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends annual screening for:
- Sexually active women age 25 or younger
- Sexually active women over age 25 with new or multiple sex partners
- Men who have sex with men
Pregnant women should be screened:
- At the first prenatal visit
- Again during the third trimester if they are under 25 years old and/or are at high risk for getting chlamydia
Sexually active young men should consider screening for STDs, although there is no specific guideline.