Cancer Care Center Commendation
The Cancer Care Center at BIDMC has again received a three-year accreditation with Commendation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons.
This designation follows an on-site evaluation by a physician surveyor. During this visit, the hospital demonstrated a Commendation level of compliance with one or more standards that represent the full scope of the cancer program, including cancer committee leadership, cancer data management, clinical services, research, community outreach and quality improvement. Accreditation by the Commission on Cancer is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to providing the highest level of quality cancer care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance every three years.
Established in 1922 by the American College of Surgeons, the Commission on Cancer is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving survival rates and quality of life for cancer patients through standard-setting, prevention, research, education and the monitoring of comprehensive, quality care.
The American Cancer Society estimates that more than 1.5 million cases of cancer will be diagnosed in 2010. There are currently more than 1,400 Commission on Cancer-accredited cancer programs in the US and Puerto Rico, representing close to 25 percent of all hospitals. This 25 percent of hospitals diagnose and treat 71 percent of newly diagnosed cancer patients annually.
Receiving care at a Commission on Cancer-accredited program ensures that a patient will have access to:
• comprehensive care, including a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
• a multispecialty, team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
• information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
• access to cancer-related information, education and support
• a cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results and offers lifelong patient follow up
• ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
• quality care close to home