Research and Academic Affairs
The challenge of continually maintaining, upgrading and fine-tuning the systems and facilities that support BIDMC's large and complex research enterprise is met by the nine divisions of Research and Academic Affairs.
$200 Million Research Portfolio Oversight
Providing the infrastructure and support necessary to enable BIDMC scientists to actively pursue their investigations, the Research and Academic Affairs (R&AA) is responsible for the oversight of BIDMC's $200 million research portfolio including:
- 550,000 square feet of laboratory space housed in nine separate locations.
- Eight core facilities that provide shared biomedical resources to investigators from BIDMC, the greater Longwood Medical area and beyond.
- The work of 250 research administrators, technicians and support staff.
- The General Clinical Research Center grant. (Harvard Catalyst)
BIDMC participates in
Harvard Catalyst which brings together the intellectual force, technologies, and clinical expertise at Harvard University and its academic, health care, and community partners to create connections, enable research at the cutting edge of discovery, and nurture clinical and translational researchers with the goal of improving human health.
Research and Education Oversight
The R&AA provides leadership in research strategic planning and collaboration between BIDMC, Harvard Medical School and other Harvard affiliated institutions. In addition, they are responsible for overseeing the following:
- Research operations
- Government relations
- Corporate relations
- Intellectual property development
- Graduate medical education
The R&AA is organized around 8 groups, 5 research teams, 1 affiliated department, the CRC and a collection of research core facilities.