Research and Academic Affairs
Research & Academic Affairs (R&AA) is headed by the Interim Chief Academic Officer (CAO), Jeffrey Saffitz, MD, PhD. The CAO drives the strategic vision for research at the medical center.
The CAO’s office supports strategic research recruitment to the medical center, facilitates research philanthropy, and provides pilot grant funding for junior faculty and innovative research. The CAO also serves as the Harvard Faculty Dean for Academic Programs at BIDMC.
R&AA consists of two departments:
- Medical Education, led by the Vice President of Education, Richard Schwartzstein, MD; and
- Research Operations, managed by the Vice President of Research Operations, Randall Mason, MBA, who also serves as the Institutional Official (IO) for both animal and human subjects research, as well as the institution’s Research Integrity Officer (RIO).
$250 Million Research Portfolio Oversight
Providing the infrastructure and support necessary to enable BIDMC scientists to actively pursue their investigations, Research Operations is responsible for the oversight of BIDMC's research portfolio, which averages at $250 million. The program also includes:
- More than 800,000 square feet of research space housed in multiple buildings.
- 16 institutional and 12 departmental core facilities that provide shared biomedical resources to investigators from BIDMC, the greater Longwood Medical area and beyond.
- The work of more than 2,000 principal investigators, technicians, and support staff.
- Protection for the intellectual property of the institution, interfacing with industry for sponsored research, licensing agreements, material transfer agreements, and other ventures.
- Consortium participation such as Harvard Catalyst and Dana Farber/Harvard Cancer Center.
- Accreditation from the Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP) and the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Lab Animal Care International (AAALAC International)
Research Operations is organized into the following groups:
Research Operations also works with several ancillary departments to manage the overall research activity.