BIDMC Research At a Glance
The world-renowned research program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center couples highly innovative scientific discoveries with a patient-centered mindset.
Investigations range from basic laboratory studies that are revealing fundamental, scientific advances to clinical and translational research that is leading to new therapies, diagnostics and changes that will significantly influence and impact human health.
- BIDMC research is led by 250 Principal Investigators who are Harvard Medical School faculty.
- Investigators at BIDMC lead more than 850 active sponsored projects and more than 500 clinical research studies.
- Research funding for FY2015 totaled more than $210 million, including government, corporate, foundation and internal donor sources.
- BIDMC consistently ranks as a national leader among independent hospitals in National Institutes of Health funding. For FY2015, funding from the NIH and other federal sources totaled more than $150 million. NIH grants represent a wide spectrum of influential and innovative research projects, both new and longstanding.
- Studies by BIDMC researchers are routinely published in the world’s leading scientific and medical journals including Nature, Science, Cell and The New England Journal of Medicine.