Janice D. Walker, RN, MBA
• Patients' Perspective on Quality of Care
• Health Information Technology
• Care of the Underserved
View Ms. Walker's
View Ms. Walker's publication history at
PubMed Author Search
View Ms. Walker's professional research networking profile at
Jan Walker joined the Division's faculty in 2007 as a research associate. Her principal research interests lie in the development and evaluation of innovative processes that utilize patient feedback and information technology to improve care. As research Principal Investigator and Project Director of "OpenNotes," a multi-site grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, she is currently evaluating the impact of opening primary care visit notes via secure websites to thousands of patients in Massachusetts, Washington State, and Pennsylvania. In addition to her research activities, Ms. Walker serves as an Instructor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, and holds the position of Director of Research and Evaluation at the Albert Schweitzer Fellowship
Current Research Support
Research Grant #69488, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2011-2012
Evolution of Open Notes: Demonstrating and Evaluating Transparency in Primary Care
The major goal of the study is to evaluate the impact on patients and physicians of opening primary care visit notes to patients on a secure website.
Role: Co-Principal Investigator / Project Director
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Walker J, Pan E, Johnston D, Adler-Milstein J, Bates DW, Middleton B. The value of health care information exchange and interoperability. Health Aff (Millwood) 2005 Jan-Jun; Suppl Web Exclusives: W5-10-W5-18.
2. Walker J, Ahern DK, Le LX, Delbanco T. Insights for internists: "I want the computer to know who I am." Gen Intern Med 2009 Jun;24(6):727-732. Epub 2009 May 2.
3. Delbanco T, Walker J, Darer JD, Elmore JG, Feldman HJ, Leveille SG, Ralston JD, Ross SE, Vodicka E, Weber VD. Open notes: doctors and patients signing on. Ann Intern Med 2010; Jul 20;153(2):121-125.
4. Walker J, Hannibal K, Johnson ML, Davis RB, Forrow L. Health professional students in community service: insights from trainees and their mentors. J Health Care Poor Underserved 2010; 21 (2010):1292-1303.
5. Walker J, Leveille SG, Ngo L, Vodicka E, Darer JD, Dhanireddy S, Elmore JG, Feldman HF, Lichtenfeld MJ, Oster N, Ralston JD, Ross SE, Delbanco T. Inviting patients to read their doctors' notes: Doctors and patients look ahead. Ann Intern Med; 2011;155:811-819.