Mara A. Schonberg, MD, MPH
• Patient Decisionmaking
• Womens' Health
View Dr. Schonberg's
View Dr. Schonberg's publication history at
PubMed Author Search
View Dr. Schonberg's professional research networking profile at
Dr. Schonberg's research over the past decade has focused on delivery of preventive health care to older adults including, 1) decision-making and outcomes of mammography screening among older women; 2) physician counseling around mammography, exercise, and joint replacement surgery to older adults; and 3) examining how older women value preventive health services and trust medical recommendations about disease prevention. Her expertise in the area of preventive health care delivery for older adults is recognized nationally. Dr. Schonberg received the 2007 New Investigator Award from the American Geriatrics Society and was asked to author the prevention chapter for the 7th and 8th editions of the Geriatric Review Syllabus, along with presenting the updates in prevention for the 2009 annual meeting of the AGS. Recently Dr. Schonbeerg's prognostic index that may predict up to 9-years life expectancy for adults aged 65 and older was featured in a systematic review in JAMA and the index itself can be accessed at
Current Research Support
1 K23 AG030964-01A1, NIA/NIH Beeson Award in Aging, 2009-2012
Benefits and Burdens of Screening Oldest-old Women: The Case of Mammography
The goals of this study are to better understand women aged 80 and older's decision making and experience after an abnormal mammogram compared to women aged 65-79 and to test the effectiveness of a decision aid on mammography screening for women aged 75 and older.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Schonberg MA, McCarthy EP, Davis RB, Phillips RS, Hamel MB. Breast cancer screening in women age 80 or older: results from a national survey. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004; 52(10):1688-1695.
2. Schonberg MA, Silliman RA, Marcantonio ER. Weighing the Benefits and Burdens of Mammography Screening Among Women aged 80 and Older. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27(11): 1774-1780.
3. Schonberg MA, Davis RB, McCarthy EP, Marcantonio ER. An Index to Predict 5-Year Mortality of Community-Dwelling Adults Aged 65 and Older. J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24(10):1115-1121.
4. Schonberg MA, Marcantonio ER, Li D, Silliman RA, Ngo LH, McCarthy EP. Breast cancer among the oldest-old: tumor characteristics, treatment choices, and survival. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28(12):2038-2045.
5. Schonberg MA, Marcantonio ER, Li D, Silliman RA, Ngo LH, McCarthy EP. Causes of Death and Relative Survival of Older Women after a Breast Cancer Diagnosis. J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29 (12): 1570-1577..