Roger B. Davis, ScD
View Dr. Davis's
View Dr. Davis's publication history at
PubMed Author Search
View Dr. Davis's professional research networking profile at
Dr.Davis provides statistical support to health services researchers and clinical epidemiologists in general medicine and integrative medicine. In this role he has contributed to dozens of grant-funded investigations as a co-investigator and biostatistician. Dr. Davis also holds faculty positions as an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Associate Professor in the Department of Biostatistics at Harvard School of Public Health, and several other administrative leadership positions within BIDMC and HMS.
NIDDK R01 DK073302, 2007-2012
Understanding How Patients Value Bariatric Surgery
This project uses a racially diverse cohort of 650 patients recruited from two bariatric centers and a cross-sectional sample of 600 primary care patients from the community. The goals of the project are to understand the value patients associate with weight loss and surgical outcomes and identify patients' perceptions of bariatric surgery and the factors they consider in deciding whether or not to undergo weight loss surgery. An important aim of the project will be to identify patients who derive greater value from surgery and potential factors and barriers that might explain current observed racial variation in the use of bariatric surgery.
Clinical and Autonomic Effects of Mind-Body Exercise in COPD
We propose a 3-arm randomized controlled trial to evaluate the effects of tai chi exercise versus seated mind-body breathing alone versus an education control on exercise capacity and quality of life in COPD patients.
Consuming Digital Crumbs from an Electronic Health Record to Improve Care
We propose a novel use of data collected incidentally during Electronic Health Records (EHR) use to help define care teams and care processes.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Mitchell SL, Miller SC, Teno JM, Kiely DK, Davis RB, Shaffer ML. Prediction of 6-month survival of nursing home residents with advanced dementia using ADEPT vs hospice eligibility guidelines. JAMA, 2010; 304:1929-1935.
2. Wachterman MW, Marcantonio ER, Davis RB, McCarthy EP. The association of profit status and diagnosis with hospice care. JAMA 2011; 305:472-9.
3. Yeh GY, McCarthy EM, Wayne PM, Stevenson LW, Wood MJ, Forman D, Davis RB, Phillips RS. Tai chi exercise in patients with chronic heart failure: a randomized clinical trial. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:750-7.
4. Eamranond PP, Davis RB, Phillips RS, Wee CC. Patient-physician language concordance and primary care screening among Spanish-speaking patients. Med Care 2011; 49:668-72.
5. Schonberg MA, Davis RB, McCarthy EP, Marcantonio ER. External validation of an index to predict up to 9-year mortality of community-dwelling adults aged 65 and older. J Amer Geriatr Soc 2011; 59:1444-51.
6. Loo TS, Davis RB, Lipsitz LA, Irish J, Bates CK, Agarwal K, Markson L, Hamel MB. Electronic medical record reminders and panel management to improve primary care of elderly patients. Arch Intern Med, 2011; 171:1552-8.
7. Marcantonio ER, Palihnich K, Appleton P, Davis RB. Pilot randomized trial of donepizil hydrochloride for delirium after hip fracture. J Amer Geriatr Soc, 2011; 59:S282-8.
8. Slack WV, Kowaloff HB, Davis RB, Delbanco T, Locke SE, Safran C, Bleich HL. Evaluation of computer-based medical histories taken by patients at home. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 2012; doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000580.
9. Wayne PM, Kiel DP, Buring JE, Connors EM, Bonato P, Cohen CJ, Mancinelli C, Davis RB. Impact of Tai Chi exercise on multiple fracture-related risk factors in post-menopausal osteopenic women: a pilot pragmatic, randomized trial. BMC Complement Altern Med, 2012; 12:7.
10. Buettner C, Rippberger MJ, Smith JK, Leveille SG, Davis RB, Mittleman MA. Statin use and musculoskeletal pain among adults with and without arthritis. Am J Med. 2012; 125:176-82.
11. Kerr CA, Neeman N, Davis RB, Schulze J, Libman H, Markson L, Aronson M, Bell SK. HIV quality of care assessment at an academic hospital: outcomes and lessons learned. Am J Med Qual. 2012; Epub ahead of print.
12. Nicklas JM, Huskey KW, Davis RB, Wee CC. Strategies associated with successful weight loss among obese US adults. In press, Am J Prev Med, 2012.