Suzanne Bertisch, MD, MPH
• Integrative Medicine
• Mind-Body Mechanisms and Therapy
• Sleep Medicine
View Dr. Bertisch's
View Dr. Bertisch's publication history at
PubMed Author Search
View Dr. Bertisch's professional research networking profile at
Dr. Bertisch's research has focused on the use, efficacy, and physiological mechanisms of mind-body thereapies (MBM). She was awarded a K23 career development award, which began in July 2009, focusing on the assessesment of the acute cardiovascular and autonomic correlations of mind-body breathing in mind-body practitioners and non-practitioners. She also collaborates on clinical research studies in both sleep medicine and dietary supplements. Dr. Bertisch also currently serves as an Instructor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, in addition to her clinical work.
Current Research Support
K23 AT005104, NIH/NCCAM, 2009-2014
Physiology of Mind-Body Therapies: Meditative Breathing and Autonomic Adaptations
The major goals of this career development award are to acquire knowledge and skills in autonomic cardiovascular physiology and mind-body clinical trial methodology, and to characterize the acute and long-term effects of mind-body slow breathing upon autonomic activity.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Bertisch SM, Wee CC, McCarthy EP, Use of complementary and alternative medicine among overweight and obese adults: results from a national survey. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008; Jul;16(7):1610-1615.
2. Birdee GS, Legedza AT, Saper RB, Bertisch SM, Eisenberg DM, Phillips RS. Characteristics of yoga users: results of a national survey. J Gen Intern Med 2008; Oct;23(10):1653-1658. Epub 2008 Jul 24.
3. Bertisch SM, Legedza AT, Phillips RS, Davis RB, Stason WB, Goldman RH, Kaptchuk TJ. The impact of psychological factors on placebo responses in a randomized controlled trial comparing sham device to dummy pill. J Eval Clin Pract 2009; Feb;15(1): 14-19.
4. Bertisch SM, Wee CC, Phillips RS, McCarthy EP. Alternative mind-body therapies used by adults with medical conditions. J Psychosom Res 2009;66(6):511-519.
5. Bertisch SM, Schomer A, Kelly EE, Baloa LA, Hueser LE, Pittman SD, Malhotra A. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2011 Sep;36(3):173-9.