Ciarán P. Kelly, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Chief, Herrman L. Blumgart Internal Medicine Firm
Director, Gastroenterology Fellowship Training
Medical Director, Celiac Center
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Ciarán P. Kelly, MD, is a Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Chief of the Herrman L. Blumgart Internal Medicine Firm, Director of Gastroenterology Training and Medical Director of the Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Kelly earned his doctor of medicine degree from Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland where he was a Foundation Scholar and recipient of numerous academic awards. Dr. Kelly has also received postgraduate clinical and research awards from the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, the American Gastroenterological Association and the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Kelly has longstanding clinical and research interests in intestinal infection and inflammation and has studied the pathogenesis and management of celiac disease for over 20 years. He is a prior committee member of the National Institutes of Health, Center for Scientific Review and leads NIH-funded research programs on C. difficile infection and inflammatory bowel disease. He also heads clinical, research and educational programs in celiac disease as Medical Director of the Celiac Center at BIDMC. Dr. Kelly is the author of more than 150 clinical and basic research book chapters, invited reviews, and peer-reviewed publications appearing in such journals as Infection & Immunity, American Journal of Physiology, Gastroenterology, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Journal of Clinical Investigation, The Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine.
- 1979-1982 Foundation Scholar, Dublin University, Trinity College, Dublin.
- 1982 Gold Medal & First Class Honors, Trinity College Medical School, Dublin.
- 1992-1995 American Gastroenterology Association Research Scholar Award.
- 1992-1993 Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, Career Development Award.
- 1993-1998 Clinical Investigator Award, NIH, NIDDK "Cell adhesion molecule upregulation in IBD"
- 1999-2001 Grants Review Committee Member, The Wellcome Trust, London, U.K.
- 2001- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology
- 2000-2005 NIH Study Section Member, Bacteriology & Microbiology-1.
- 2005 - NIH Study Section Member, Host Pathogen Microbial Interactions