Federica del Monte Laboratory
Federica del Monte, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor in Medicine
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
3 Blackfan Circle, E/CLS906
Boston MA 02215
- MD, University of Rome (IT) "La Sapienza"
- PhD, Physiology and Pharmacology from Imperial College of Science and Technology in London (UK)
- Principal Investigator Cardiovascular Research Center at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Assistant Professor in Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and at Massachusetts General Hospital
Dr. del Monte's research program focuses on basic mechanisms of dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure.
- Cardiovascular diseases are the cause of mortality in 50% more people than cancer.
- According to the American Heart Association (AHA), cardiovascular diseases claim about as many lives each year as cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases, accidents and diabetes mellitus combined.
- Overall one in every three Americans are affected by one or more types of cardiovascular diseases and among those heart failure affects 5.3 million Americans.
Her previous work showed for the first time that modulating calcium homeostasis can improve contractile function in human cardiac myocytes from patients with heart failure (Circulation 1999 and 2002) and in animal models without altering myocardial metabolism or worsening ventricular arrhythmia in the reperfused heart (Circulation 2001, PNAS 2004, Circulation 2008).
Although the abnormalities in calcium cycling are a common denominator of the late stage of heart failure, an unresolved question is what causes this common alteration and heart failure. Dr. del Monte's current interest is in the mechanisms of endoplasmic reticulum stress and the role of protein misfolding in heart failure (Heart Failure Clinic 2005). Progressive protein misfolding into aggregates that can alter function, injure and kill the cells may represent a common denominator in chronic diseased such as Alzheimer disease as well as in dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure.
Highlighted Recent Publications
- Kühn B,
del Monte F, Hajjar JR, Chang Y-S, Lebeche D, Arab S, Keating MK. Periostin induces proliferation of differentiated cardiomyocytes and promotes cardiac repair. Nat Med 2007, Aug;13(8):962-9.
- Gorza L,
del Monte F. Protein unfolding in cardiomyopathies. Heart Fail Clin. 2005 Jul;1(2):237-50.
del Monte F (Corresponding Author), Lebeche D, Guerrero JL, Tsuji T, Doye AA, Gwathmey JK, Hajjar RJ. Abrogation of ventricular arrhythmias in a model of ischemia and reperfusion by targeting myocardial calcium cycling. PNAS 2004; 101 (15): 5622-5627.
del Monte F, Harding S, Dec GW, Gwathmey JK, Hajjar RJ. Targeting phospholamban in human heart failure by gene transfer. Circulation 2002; 105: 904-907.
- Prunier F, Kawase Y, Gianni D, Scapin C, Danik SB, Ellinor PT, Hajjar RJ,
del Monte F: Prevention of ventricular arrhythmias with SERCA2a overexpression in a porcine model of ischemia reperfusion. Circulation 2008; Aug 5;118(6):614-24.