Newborn Intensive Care Unit Council
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is currently recruiting family members for our Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Family Advisory Council.
Who is eligible to join the council?
We are looking for BIDMC families (parents and caregivers) who have had a baby or babies in our Newborn Intensive Care Unit within the past two years to bring their experiences and perspectives and help us improve the care we provide to patients and families alike.
When was the council created?
The NICU Advisory Council was created in June 2006, and was one of BIDMC's first family advisory councils.
What are the areas of focus?
The NICU Family Advisory Council focuses on program development, facilities improvement, patient/family and staff relations, fundraising and other issues that are important to families during and after their baby's NICU hospitalization.
What kind of outcomes have you had?
The NICU Family Advisory Council has spearheaded and implemented many initiatives, including:
- Extensive Family-Friendly Facelift, including renovated reception area, family waiting room and family resource room
- Developed and launched Parents-on-Rounds Program
- Creation of bi-annual memorial service
- Held NICU 15th Anniversary Reunion, bringing together more than 1000 children, parents and staff
- Elimination of "change-of-shift" requirement for parents and visitors to leave NICU
- Launched pilot program, NICU Parent Connection Post-Discharge Parent Mentoring program
- Improved family satisfaction survey results
What is the commitment?
The NICU Family Advisory Council currently meets three to four times a year, with committees meeting more frequently. We request a two-year commitment.
Do you provide food and parking?
We provide parking vouchers and food during mealtimes for meetings at BIDMC.
How do I apply?
Please complete an application and select the Newborn Intensive Care Advisory Council when answering the last question.
Who do I contact for more information?
For more information and questions, please contact Kelly Fitzsimmons, Program Manager, NICU, at email@example.com or 617-667-3247.
Last Updated: June 23, 2011