Visiting Hours and Information
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) understands the visits from family and friends are an important part of the healing process. Before visiting a patient at BIDMC, learn what you need to know:
- Because of the limited space in your room, it is usually best if no more than two people visit at a time.
- On most units, we ask that visitors come between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. Anyone visiting after 8 p.m. must check in with the security officer in the lobby of the Clinical Center on the west campus, or the lobby of the Feldberg Building on the east campus, before proceeding to the floor.
- The nurse will work with you and the patient you are visiting to make sure the visits do not interfere with the patient's care and recovery.
- If small children will be visiting, please make sure that they do not have any contagious illnesses such as strep throat or a cold.
- If you are being treated for cancer or are receiving an organ transplant, please check with your nurse about special visiting policies that may apply to you.
- In obstetrics, we try to strike a balance between helping family and friends give a warm welcome to a newborn and making sure mothers get the rest they need before going home to a busy schedule.
» The father/ partner is welcome any time. Siblings are also encouraged to visit whenever they can according to the wishes of the mother. We ask that all others try to come between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
» If small children will be visiting, please make sure that they do not have any contagious illnesses such as strep throat or a cold.
» All visitors in obstetrics must obtain a visitor's badge at the nurse's station. The badge must be visible at all times and must be changed every 24 hours.
» Visitors in obstetrics should be aware that many new mothers want to attend educational sessions on newborn care offered on the unit, meaning a visit may need to be cut short.
» The only people who can transport the baby to and from the nursery are the mother and a second person that the mother designates at the time of delivery.